Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Important Note: October 2021 is the last month in which you will receive direct e-mails containing CrossPoint Community News. You will still receive updates via the church website by subscribing to CrossPoint Community Ministry News (via the “Subscribe to our News” button at the bottom of the webpage).
It may be a phrase you’ve never heard of. It may be something you have thought a lot about. But for a lot of Christians living in the United States, one point of tension has been Critical Race Theory.
I am not looking to start a debate, but I am looking to start a dialogue for those interested. I am also not an expert on the topic, but I am learning. I am not making a political statement, but I am making a Christian discipleship statement.
All Truth is God’s Truth – So as we have the opportunity to learn and grow, we need to use the rationality that God has given us to understand the world that we are living in. One of the theories that makes claims about the world we are living in is Critical Race Theory. For more information on what it is and how it works you can check out content that I have listened to and read (Note: Listening, reading through all of these could take between 2 to 3 hours. Also, just because I have included it here does not mean that I endorse/agree with any of the following resources).
From the Asian American Christian Collaborative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-s2JZNLN_E&t=91s
From Christianity Today: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/videos/live-events/christians-and-critical-race-theory.html
From Life in the Gospel: https://quarterly.gospelinlife.com/a-biblical-critique-of-secular-justice-and-critical-theory/?fbclid=IwAR3_PHVpDW33PfeRC1ocBZuzfUa_xEC5mJoMu9sjLFwIns_95cG-c_vQcOo
The first video talks about the theory and how it can be useful for Christians in Academia. The second video talks about the theory and how it can be beneficial for Christians in North America. The third link is an article that provides a Biblical critique of Critical Theory. If you are interested, I’d be glad to talk with you about this and grow in our understanding together!
This Week (Oct. 15 – Oct. 21):
1. Tonight, on Oct. 15, 2021 we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together “Sure of Salvation” from 1 John 5. You can join online (due to leaders traveling or quarantining from travel).
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – on October 17 – is meeting in-person / and Online at 9:45 am.
a. The Young Adults will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202 and online)! Studying the Gospel of John and taking time for Scripture recitation. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or in the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “A Guide to Christian Beliefs” Sunday School is this Sunday in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, October 17, Pastor Steven Chin will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for in-person worship!
a. Text: Philippians 2:1-11
b. Title: “How to Get Along with Your Brothers and Sisters”
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
4. This coming Wednesday, October 20, at 7:45 pm you are invited, encouraged and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form has been updated. If you haven’t completed a waiver, please do so. The updated waiver can be found at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver. You are required to have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities. Note: the following is the most recent guidance from the COVID taskforce.
a. Wearing a face mask is required to attend church indoor activities regardless of vaccination status except when preaching, teaching, or leading the worship service.
b. After international or domestic travel by plane, self-quarantine for 10 days before attending church in-person activities or follow state and CDC recommendations or requirements (such as fully vaccinated individuals who have traveled obtaining a negative COVID Test before in-person participation).
c. MPR room is limited only for no contact sports, e. g. pong-pong, badminton, etc., and otherwise pre-approved activities.
6. We would like to invite you to join our Alpha Tuesday Online Course for Adults and Youth this coming Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm. #AlphaCourse for adults and youth is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment. Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Sept. 28, 2021 – Dec. 14, 2021, 7:30pm – 8:30pm (1 hour – EST).
Here’s the Zoom Meeting Info:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
Contact: Marina Lam
7. Lunch is coming back to CBCGL! Beginning October 24, 2021, you can get a $4 pre-boxed lunch from the cafeteria (as we follow all regulations and guidelines for food service). In order to obtain a lunch, you must pre-order by 11 pm on the preceding Friday (so Oct. 22 for Oct 24 lunch, Oct 29 for Oct 31 lunch, etc.). Here is the link:
https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA (Have you eaten yet?)
8. Meet with Angie and me (preferably in person)! We are now hosting meetings online or in our home, or at church, for participants in CrossPoint Community Ministry. To sign-up, use the following link: https://lowellchurch-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/nathan_willems_lowell_church/EccUw7hTOn1IkeJ_B1Eqp8EBUIKksUtMSLDZwEh0buI3SA?e=UPtpIM
9. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults Prayer Meeting: Wednesday nights @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, serving alongside you, SDG,
Nathan Willems – Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – a Ministry of CBCGL