Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
You likely have heard of Martin Luther. But did you know that his wife, 17 years his younger, helped to encourage, comfort, and support the work of Luther? I have heard it said, “Behind every great man is a great woman.” It may be more properly said that beside every great man or along with any great man is a great woman. This was certainly the case with Katherine Von Bora.
“Kitty,” as she was referred to by Luther, was an exemplary woman. She was a capable manager of the home. This was necessary because the Luther’s had 6 children, and were often caring for or boarding Martin’s 11 nieces and nephews, her own niece and nephew, and the stream of guests who came to the converted monastery to converse with Martin Luther.
Katherine was thrifty and worked to provide for the family. Note, she didn’t work outside of the home (because that wasn’t an option for women over 400 years ago in Europe). So she worked to make her home productive. She kept cows, began a piggery simply because her husband liked pork, converted a neglected field into a productive garden, planted an orchard, and stocked the pond with fish.
When she wasn’t home caring for and managing the family and showing hospitality, she was engaged in acts of charity. She acted as a friend listening to others’ problems; she acted as a nurse providing care and medicines for the sick; she acted as a counselor advising others in their sorrows; she acted as an advisor for still others in their business affairs.
Martin Luther knew how precious his wife was. He addressed her as such, noting her skill, her learning, and her self-sacrifice when he referred to her in his correspondence. She was a faithful, patient, and loving woman whose presence, care, and provision enabled Martin Luther to be the man he was known to be. It was she who ran things in the home so that their home was a model of Christian parenting, though Luther did lead his family in devotions.
I share her story not to set her up as an impossible example. I don’t also want to make you think that a woman’s place is only in the home. But I do want you to realize that exemplary Christians serve the Lord in what God has given them, improving the lives of those around them. Katherine Von Bora was no exception to this rule.
(Note: This brief biographical sketch is based on Warren Wiersbe’s “50 People Every Christian Should Know.”)
May God have mercy, and please continue to pray for Ukraine. Many of the refugees from Ukraine are women and children. Here is a suggested prayer if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: 24-7 Prayer – A Prayer for the Crisis in Ukraine (ENG).pdf Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against tyrannical despotism.
This Week (Apr. 29–May 5, 2022):
1. Tonight, April 29, 2022, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us from 7:30-9:30 as we take time to sing, share, and study the topic of “A Life of Persecution” from the life of Jesus. You can read John 15:18-16:4 in preparation. Join us in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School will continue our combined Sunday School on this Sunday, May 1, called, “Radical and Practical Generosity”. Please join us in the Upstairs Cafeteria (Room A-202) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, May 1, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-16
b. Title: A Defense of Gospel Preaching
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming May 4, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. We invite you to join our Alpha Tuesday Online Course this coming Tuesday, May 3 2022, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm. #AlphaCourse for adults and youth is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment. Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Apr. 26, 2022 – June 28, 2022, 7:30pm – 8:30pm (1 hour – EST).
Here is the Zoom Meeting Info:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
Contact: Marina Lam
2. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the task force has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
3. Lunch service is back at CBCGL! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that we can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
4. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries. This week, there is an update about T and C working to mobilize workers to serve in Africa. Check it out!
5. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
– Particularly, check out the Children’s ministry Tab to sign-up, show-up, serve, and see God at work in the next generation!
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL