Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
This past Sunday, we listened to what Jesus had to say about prayer in Matthew 6:7-8. Jesus told us not to be like pagans/Gentiles who seek to coerce/control the idols to which they prayed. They think that they will be heard for their many words – for saying the right words, for saying the right combination of words, or for saying the correct name of the god.
But our Master Class teacher, Jesus Christ, explained that we are to be different because our Father knows what we need before we ask. God, our Father, listens to our prayers even though he knows what we need before we ask. One reason God does this is to invite us to participate in the work that He is doing. There are some things that God will not grant unless we ask. In this way, prayer unlocks possibility. The Apostle Paul knew this and prayed for the glory of God in the book of Ephesians because our God is a God able to give us more than we can ask or think. One line of a hymn written by John Newton (who wrote Amazing Grace) also expresses this idea: “Thou art coming to a King, large petitions with thee bring, for His grace and power are such none can ever ask too much.”
For what would you ask God, knowing that you could never ask too much? May God expand our desires and dreams to see His kingdom come and His will be done through CrossPoint Community and through CBCGL and through all Christians who proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord.
Also, of note, Halloween is coming up. So give out good candy and share some tracts or handwritten notes that point people to Jesus Christ. One of the places where most of the Halloween activities in MA take place is in Salem, MA. The First Baptist Church of Salem has put together a pdf for ways you can be praying for Salem all month long, up to and through Halloween. You can find that pdf here: https://www.firstbaptistchurchsalem.com/halloween
Please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (Oct. 28 – Nov. 3, 2022):
1. Tonight, Oct. 28, 2022, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to begin a study about God’s word. You can read 2 Timothy 3 in order to prepare. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School is on Oct. 30.
a. The Grace Ambassadors (Young Adults) will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be studying John 21. More Info is found on the YAs Messenger Chat. For further info, contact Liu Jiang.
b. “Understanding the Old Testatment” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Oct. 30, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Steven Chin will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Matthew 7:7-11
b. Title: Our Heavenly Father Always Answers Prayer
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming November 2, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for the nations as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
2. Sunday Lunch Service is back at CBCGL with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
3. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from Candy Zhang who serves with COCM (which focuses on reaching the Chinese to reach Europe). Candy has been working on putting together a ministry resources website; serving a Mandarin congregation; and helping to coordinate a Bible tour at a British museum. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. Save the Date: November 24th, from 12:00 to 1:30, CrossPoint Community will host a Thanksgiving Day Luncheon. This is primarily a way for us to serve those who don’t have family / friends in the area.
5. What if you could skip one dinner eating out and use the money saved to help someone in Uganda to receive a bike? $50 can send a bike to the very poor in Uganda who cannot even afford to use public transportation and must travel hours by foot to reach church or school. Skip a dinner-out and send a bike. Donation is easy. If God so prompts your heart to help, please visit Pastor Owino’s website Letneedysmile.org to donate to help pay the fee of shipping the bikes to Uganda. $50 to ship one bike; $100 to ship two bikes. You can ship as many bikes as God prompts you. When donating online (via Paypal), please denote the donation with “Shipping fee for bike”.
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any giveaway items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL