Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Names matter. When we use someone’s name, we identify them, recognize them, and affirm them. Biblically speaking, names matter. Names were given for a variety of reasons. For example, a name could indicate something about an individual, such as with Jacob and Esau. Jacob was a heal grabber and Esau had red hair (Genesis 25:25-26). The English Ministry’s present name “The English Ministry” indicates that we speak English. Names were also given to signify what someone was or would be. When Abram was renamed, he was given the name Abraham to show that he would be the father of many nations (Genesis 17:5). Names were also given to highlight a truth about who God is. For example, the name Samuel means “heard of God” or “I have asked for him of the Lord” (1 Samuel 1:20). Names could also be used to indicate a new beginning. After Simon confessed Jesus as the Christ, the Promised One of God, Jesus told Simon, “You are Peter.” Jesus was indicating that a new era had begun. On the proclamation of Christ, Jesus would build his church.
We have collected feedback about renaming the English Ministry. There were a handful of people who said that we absolutely need a new name. They also said that a new name would indicate that we are not simply a church for people who are Chinese. They explained that a new name could enable us to do more effective outreach, since signage would show that there is a congregation which doesn’t speak Chinese. There were some concerns as well. One main concern was that we maintain unity with the Chinese speaking congregations, since we are still part of the church. A new name isn’t an assertion of independence. It is primarily for the purpose of branding – having a name which doesn’t have the word “Chinese” in it, to help others to know that the church is open to all people.
With this in mind, after discussion with the Elder Wu and Deacon Ge, since there were no objections, we want to seek further guidance from you, the congregation. To do that, we would like you to vote (by April 30) via the following link:
One more thing:
This Week (April 16 – April 22, 2021):
1. Tonight, (April 16, 2021) we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share/study regarding the topic of spiritual disciplines. Join us!
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. EM Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – For April 18 – is meeting again at 9:45 am
- The Young Adults are meeting for Sunday School discussing the next chapter of the book “Radical” by David Platt this Sunday via the Teams link that follows:
- The “Essentials of World Missions” Sunday School continues this Sunday via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, April 18, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him!
- Text: Luke 20:9-19
- Title: The Stone of Wrath.
- Live stream via Youtube: http://cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
- Coworker reminder.
- Reminder: You can sign-up to join us in person via the following link. We can have up to 50 people join us, beyond co-workers. https://forms.gle/mUsX6xAyiTmxiFto6
Administration / Events
4. Tuesday Night Alpha began on March 23. It is meeting weekly on Tuesday nights, from 7:30 – 8:30 pm. Pray for God’s work in and through Alpha and invite your friends. The zoom link can be found here:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form can be found at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities.
6. Calling all VBS volunteers! It’s that time of year again! Our church will be hosting VBS 2021 from August 9th-13th. Looking for adult and youth volunteers who are willing to serve in VBS this year! Please apply using the link provided. Thank you! Here is the link: https://bit.ly/3eq9S4a
7. All other announcements can be found here (in our English Ministry bulletin).
- Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults Prayer Meeting: Wednesday night @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
- Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,