Dear EM Brothers and Sisters,
How’s your week? I pray that this email finds you well physically and spiritually.
August is upon us, which mean…. VBS and Father Day!
What? Didn’t we have a Father’s Day already back in June?
Thanks to the Mothers, Father’s Day in the United States was set on the third Sunday in June. However, for the Chinese traditionally, Father’s Day is on August 8, which is tomorrow. The reason for 88 Father’s Day is because of the pronunciation of the word “eight” sounds very much like the word “father” in mandarin. So it is naturally more fitting for the Chinese to celebrate and remember the fathers on August 8.
The helpers to VBS are typically mothers and youth, who do not need to take days off to assist the church’s annual VBS program. It has been known that many sisters and brothers are taking a week off to help in this meaningful evangelistic event. This year is especially unprecedented; our VBS will be conducted 100% online to observe the social distance. I was told that there are 45 registered helpers and 77 registered campers. As Jesus encourages the Children to go to him,
13 Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people,
14 but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
15 And he laid his hands on them and went away.
(Matthew 19:13-15, ESV)
In an analogy, we are all God’s children! God does not wish that “any should perish, but that all should reach repentance” (2 Peter 3 9b, ESV). Even when we do not know what to pray, the Spirit “himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words” (Romans 8:26b, ESV). So likewise, let’s remember the helpers and campers in your prayers. Though there is no single helper who is a father this year; however fathers, you can support VBS through your prayers. If you have family members participating in this year’s VBS, please pray for the helpers’ patience and wisdom and God’s protection. Let us join our effort together to make this year’s VBS a church-wide fun-filled event.
So let’s pray…
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for calling us your own and making us the light and salt in our communities. We lift next week’s VBS in your mighty hands. Grant the helpers’ confidence to be the ambassadors for you. Make them the channels of blessings to the little ones. We also lift all the campers to you. May you make the seeds in their hearts grow. Thank you for the opportunities to serve you. May you receive all the glory through this event. In Jesus’ name, amen!
- Friday Night’s Bible Study will start a new book from Lifeway. You may dial in or login via your phone or personal computer:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
- Min. Tao Zhang has joined our pastoral team as of July 27, 2020. We will have a chance to introduce Minister Zhang this Sunday. Here is a picture of Min. Zhang’s family (along with his wife Yingyun and three beautiful daughters: Priscilla, Zoe, and Hannah).
- This Sunday, Elder Jeremy Wu will be sharing God’s word with us:
- Live stream Youtube: http://cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
- Title: I Was
- Text: Psalm 51:1-19 (ESV).
- Coworker reminder:
- EM Sunday School
Topic: CBCGL EM Sunday Class “52 Major Stories of the Bible” (9:45 am – 11:00 am):
Join Zoom Meeting (Note the different link)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
YAs Sunday School (via Microsoft Teams)
YAs Sunday School signup sheet:
- English Ministry will host Alpha Online starting on September 8 (Tuesday) from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Please invite your friends and family to join the Alpha Online course.
Contact: Marina Lam
Google voice phone: (201) 824-2922
- New health waiver form has been posted online at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to fill out the latest form if you plan to participate in any activities at church.
- Deacon nomination is ongoing. Please go online to fill out any recommendation:
- All other announcement items can be found here.
- Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 pm – 9:15 pm)
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Wednesday night EM prayer meeting @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86893982884?pwd=Q2RIWEtVMGtmdGJ2ZHNJdDJ3Rng4dz09
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
- Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance, or announce any give-away items. It is a new attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours: