Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Tuesday was Mardis Gras. It is the day before Ash Wednesday (which was two days ago). Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. Lent is a season of 40 days, to reflect Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness. Specifically, it begins 40 days before Easter.
Lent is a season to reflect, pray, repent, and practice fasting. This is not a requirement for Christians, but it is a great practice to give up something good to pursue something better. We are so caught up in technology and distractions that we can take time for stillness, silence, and fast from screen time, perhaps once a week. We are so caught up in worry and concern about international events, we can fast for a meal once a week and take the time to pray against the invasion of Ukraine and against the continued presence of COVID-19. We are so caught up in living for ourselves and meeting our own needs that we would benefit from more time to be in the presence of God, worshipping Him for his goodness, holiness, and justice.
It may not be much, but one thing that I am fasting from this Lent is working beyond 10 pm. I need to structure my days better or say “No” to good things, in order to accomplish all the work that I need each day before 10 pm. I can trust the Lord to provide for me so that I can put down my work and trust Him to work. What is something that you will give up this Lent in order to pursue something better?
Also, please continue to pray for Ukraine. Here is a suggested prayer if you are at a loss for words in how to pray. Also, please see the image at the top of the post.
24-7 Prayer – A Prayer for the Crisis in Ukraine (ENG).pdf
Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against tyrannical despotism.
This Week (Mar. 4–Mar. 10, 2022):
1. Tonight, Mar. 4, 2022, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us from 7:30-9:30 as we take time to sing, share, and study the topic of “The Pitfall of Hard Times” from the life of Joseph. You can read Gen. 41 in preparation. Join us in person in Room A- 216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School is on Mar. 6.
a. The Young Adults will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202 and online)! We will be studying the Gospel of John and taking time for Scripture recitation. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “Big Survey, Big Screen Perspective” Sunday School is this Sunday in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Mar. 6, 2022, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL so you can take communion with us! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Ezekiel 36:16-32
b. Title: Salvation for Reputation
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
4. This coming Wednesday, Mar. 9, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine and reflecting on a Lenten devotional. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration and Events
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance is being udated. If you have not completed a waiver, please do so. You can find the most up-to-date waiver at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver. You must have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities. Note: please find updated COVID-19 Guidance for CBCGL in the COVID-19 Sidebar Tab in the announcements.
6. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries. This week, there is an update about Gordon and Maggie (serving in France).
7. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL