Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
In Hebrews 10:24-25, we are encouraged to “consider how to stir one another up to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” There is no such thing as a solitary Christian! Yes, we are justified as individuals before God. My justification and new life in Christ is not transferable to my wife or kids. But also true is that Christians have need for each other just as we have a need for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
We need each other for encouragement – to encourage each other to continue steadfast in the faith. We need others to remind us and stir us up to love and good works. Love and good works are done in the context of community. We are to love others. Our good works are to benefit others. Following Jesus, imitating him, will result in our being other focused.
We also need to admit that meeting together is inconvenient. A worship service is not a matter of convenience. We come together to worship the Almighty God, to hear the truth of His word, to be convicted or encouraged to live rightly. We come together to pursue the same goal, namely to glorify God’s name. A worship service is not about us – It’s about Him! But God, in his rich mercy and grace, has given us times together to worship because worship is for us. It benefits us to reorient our hearts and lives, reminding us that we belong to God, and we are His representatives in this world.
Next Week Sunday, April 2, we have the opportunity of coming together before worship (at 9:45 am in Room A-202) to have our bi-annual CrossPoint Community Town Hall Meeting. The purpose of this meeting is informational. We want to share with you what we have doing since our last meeting, what we anticipate in the coming months, and learn about a resource available to all church members. We will also take time to address comments or questions that you have about CrossPoint Community or CBCGL in general. To help with that, here is a form (https://forms.office.com/r/ecMdPxf41P) you can fill out in advance (so that we can be better prepared to address your comment or question!). We look forward to our time together from 9:45 am to 11 am.
Also, please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (March 24-March 30, 2023):
1. Tonight, March 24, 2023, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to continue our study about How to Discern the Voice of God. You can read Colossians 3 in preparation for this time of fellowship and studying “Does it lead you to be more like Jesus?”. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link at 7:30 pm:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School classes are meeting on March 26.
a. The Grace Ambassadors (Young Adults) will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be taking time to discuss Chapter 13 of Tim Keller’s book on Prayer. More info is found on the YAs Messenger Chat. For further info, contact Jillian Yuan.
b. “Understanding the Old Testament” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, March 26, 2023, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL!
a. Text: John 14:12-14
b. Title: Praying in Jesus’ Name
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, such as this week (March 29) at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We will not grow in Christ without growing in our dependence on God through prayer. In March, we are spending time praying for CrossPoint Community and CBCGL needs. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. We have a missions update (so check out the missions tab in the bulletin)! This week, we have an update from Chris and Emily who are serving in Japan. They have a number of things for which to praise God, even as they seek where they might serve long-term within Japan. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through their report and learn how you can support our missionaries.
2. Sign-ups are full for the Easter Outreach. But you can still invite your friends and neighbors to the Easter Outreach activities from 2 to 4 pm on April 9th (Easter Sunday). We will have a training for co-workers tomorrow on March 25th from 2 to 4 pm. This is an opportunity to welcome guests and neighbors so they can understand what Easter is all about.
3. We will have our next baptism service on Easter (April 9). We also have child dedication on Easter Sunday. Come and celebrate with our brothers and sisters in Christ who are walking in obedience to Christ by being baptized.
4. If you’re interested in joining CBCGL as a member, please contact Pastor Nathan Willems for more information on how to become a member and to schedule a membership class.
5. Save the Dates:
April 2 – CrossPoint Community TownHall Meeting, 9:45 am to 11 am – Room A202
April 9 – Combined Easter Service, Baptism and Child Dedication Service, Easter Outreach (2 to 4 pm)
May 6th – Worship Leader Training, 1 to 5 pm (@ CBCGL)
May 13th – Marriage Conference, 9:30 am to 5 pm (with dinner afterwards) – (@BCEC Chinatown).
6. Sunday Lunch Service began again at CBCGL on Jan. 8th with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/nCwQnMruKv Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
7. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are also tracking community spread. If we are in a high risk of community spread, we recommend mask wearing to church activities.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
8. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. The one who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God. Truly, our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL