Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Last Week Sunday, we heard from Jesus that we are to pray in his name (John 14:12-14). We pray in Jesus’ name when God’s glory is the goal of our prayer. We pray in Jesus’ name when Christ’s person and work are its basis. We pray in Jesus’ name as we are filled with God’s word and living in obedience to God. We pray in Jesus’ name when the request lines up with Jesus’ character and will. Praying in Jesus’ name is not easy, because it requires us to repudiate selfishness and change our focus from our self to our Lord. Praying in Jesus’ name also requires dependence on Him and humility from us. Can you say that you regularly pray in Jesus’ name? What needs to change for your prayers so that they may be prayed in Jesus’ name?
Of course, tragedies like the school shooting in Nashville push us to cry out to God. We can come to God with our questions and our emotions. It’s appropriate to ask, “How long, O Lord, before the violence against children stops?” It’s good to ask God to be glorified – to be recognized and honored as He is – in situations like these. Because apart from God working in the midst of all evil and injustice, we have no hope, and just anxiety about life. Tragedies should draw us closer to God, because He alone is good and will do good. We don’t have answers or quick solutions. But we can trust God to be at work; since we know that God works all things (including tragedies) for the good of those who love Him and who are called according to his purpose.
This coming Sunday, April 2, we have the opportunity of coming together before worship (at 9:45 am in Room A-202) to have our bi-annual Town Hall Meeting. The purpose of this meeting is informational. We want to share with you what we have doing since our last meeting, what we anticipate in the coming months, and learn about a resource available to all church members. We will also take time to address comments or questions that you have about CrossPoint Community or CBCGL in general. To help with that, here is a form (https://forms.office.com/r/ecMdPxf41P) you can fill out in advance (so that we can be better prepared to address your comment or question!). We look forward to our time together from 9:45 am to 11 am.
Also, please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (March 31-April 6, 2023):
1. Tonight, March 31, 2023, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to hear about how to prepare and share a targeted testimony. We have seen the goodness of God in the land of the living and we are to tell others about it. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link at 7:30 pm:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School classes are taking two weeks off. On April 2, we will all meet for our Town Hall Meeting in Room A 202. And on April 9, we will not have Sunday School as our Combined Easter Service begins at 9:45 in the Main Sanctuary.
3. This Sunday, April 2, 2023, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL!
a. Text: John 12:12-26
b. Title: The Glorified King
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, such as this week (April 5) at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We will not grow in Christ without growing in our dependence on God through prayer. In April, we will have some brief prayer lessons, followed by times to pray together. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. We have a missions update (so check out the missions tab from the bulletin)! This week, we have an update from Chris and Emily who are serving in Japan. They have a number of things for which to praise God, even as they seek where they might serve long-term within Japan. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through their report and learn how you can support our missionaries.
2. Sign-ups to serve are full. But you can still invite your friends and neighbors to the Easter Outreach activities from 2 to 4 pm on April 9th (Easter Sunday).
3. We will have our next baptism service on Easter Sunday (April 9). We also have child dedication on Easter Sunday. Come and celebrate with our brothers and sisters in Christ who are walking in obedience to Christ by being baptized.
4. If you’re interested in joining CBCGL as a member, please contact Pastor Nathan Willems for more information on how to become a member and to schedule a membership class.
5. Save the Dates:
April 2 – CrossPoint Community TownHall Meeting, 9:45 am to 11 am – Room A202
April 9 – Combined Easter Service, Baptism and Child Dedication Service, Easter Family Festivities (2 to 4 pm)
May 6th – Worship Leader Training, 1 to 5 pm (@ CBCGL)
May 13th – Marriage Conference, 9:30 am to 5 pm (with dinner on your own afterwards) – (@BCEC Chinatown).
6. Sunday Lunch Service began again at CBCGL on Jan. 8th with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/nCwQnMruKv Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
7. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are also tracking community spread. If we are in a high risk of community spread, we recommend mask wearing to church activities.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
8. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. The one who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God. Truly, our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. We’d be glad to pray for you. If you need prayer, you can submit your prayer request via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL