Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
As we’ve been going through Christ’s school of Prayer, I want to bring your attention to another resource that I’ve found helpful. Failure on God’s part in our prayers is impossible. But there are conditions for prayer which are necessary on our part, as found in God’s Word. These conditions are outlined for us by George Müller of Bristol.
“Five conditions of prevailing prayer were ever before his mind:
1. Entire dependence upon the merits and meditation of the Lord Jesus Christ, as the only ground of any claim for blessing (See John 14:13,14; 15:16, etc.)
2. Separation from all known sin. If we regard iniquity in our hearts, the Lord will not hear us, for it would be sanctioning sin (Ps. 66:18)
3. Faith in God’s word of promise as confirmed by His oath. Not to believe Him is to make Him both a liar and a perjurer (Heb. 11:6; 6:13-20)
4. Asking in accordance with His will. Our motives must be godly: we must not seek any gift of God to consume it upon our own lusts (1 John 5:13; James 4:3)
5. Importunity in supplication. There must be waiting on God and waiting for God, as the [farmer] has long patience to wait for the harvest (James 5:7; Luke 18:1-10)
The importance of firmly fixing in mind principles such as these cannot be overstated. The first lays the basis of all prayer, in our oneness with the great High Priest. The second states a condition of prayer, found in abandonment of sin. The third reminds us of the need of honoring God by faith that He is, and is the Rewarder of the diligent seeker. The fourth reveals the sympathy with God that helps us to ask for what is for our good and His glory. The last teaches us that, having laid hold of God in prayer, we are to keep hold until His arm is outstretched in blessing.” (A.T. Pierson, George Müller of Bristol, 1899).
(If you want more encouragement to pray, I suggest you pick up this book and read it in its entirety!)
Also, please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (April 28-May 4, 2023):
1. Tonight, April 28, 2023, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to begin our study about My Encounter With Jesus. You can read John 8:1-11 in preparation for this time of fellowship. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link at 7:30 pm:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School classes are joining together for Sunday School talking about the Heart of Christ for sinners and sufferers beginning April 30 at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, April 30, 2023, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL!
a. Text: Luke 18:1-8
b. Title: Don’t Lose Heart
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, such as this week (April 3) at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We will not grow in Christ without growing in our dependence on God through prayer. In April, we will be taking time to pray for our contexts (and for our college students!). The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. Break out your cleaning skills, and be more zealous than in your own home, because we have a chance to bring order out of chaos, to restore structure to disarray, to clean our fellowship rooms. Join us in Room 202 this ***Sunday, April 30*** at 1:30 pm to wipe tables, sweep the floor, stack chairs, mop the floor, dust the vents, wash the walls, and otherwise deep clean our regular rooms in the church. This is the beginning of a month of spring cleaning. Looking forward to seeing you there!
2. We have a missions update (so check out the missions tab from the bulletin)! This week, we have an update from Tim and Judy who are serving international students and scholars in the Pittsburgh area through their work with PRISM. They have a number of things for which to praise God, such as funding and seeing a celebration of diversity of cultures. Please be praying for D. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through their report and learn how you can support our missionaries.
3. Save the Dates (and Don’t forget to Sign-up!)
May 6th – Worship Leader Training, 1 to 5 pm (@ CBCGL) – Here is a link to sign-up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0944a9a92aabf5c52-worship
May 13th – Marriage Conference, 9:30 am to 5 pm (with dinner on your own afterwards) – (@BCEC Chinatown). Sign up here by April 30. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7q8okp-BLsRtvdPv_etJRCXFQ4CDHpOPGKj8VN7SNr0Q4sg/viewform?usp=sf_link
May 21st – CBCGL Annual Heart Pond 5K Fun Run and Walk will be held on May 21 Sunday afternoon 2-4 pm. This fundraising event supports youth short-term mission trips to Boston Project and local service project this summer. All are welcome, join the fun and register now using the link, https://forms.office.com/r/tJ7rfgHC8C. For more details, please visit. https://www.cbcgl.org/event/heart-pond-5k/
4. Sunday Lunch Service began again at CBCGL on Jan. 8th with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/nCwQnMruKv Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. Please note, wearing a face mask to church is now optional.
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. The one who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God. Truly, our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. We’d be glad to pray for you. If you need prayer, you can submit your prayer request via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL