Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
I will be away from the office for much of the rest of the month. I will be on vacation, spending time with my wife’s family and meeting up with some friends. Then I will be in Europe with a group of pastors to discuss and learn about secularization and ministry in a post-Christian context. I look forward to seeing again in August! (But if you are at prayer meeting on July 12, I’ll see you there). While I’m away, please contact Deacon Tony Ge or Elder Jeremy Wu for any announcements or urgent needs.
Now that you know what I’m doing, let me tell you what each group in CrossPoint is doing this summer. For starters, Empower (the college student fellowship) is meeting on Friday nights to discuss how to build/maintain Christian community and on Sunday mornings, we are meeting to memorize Scripture and talk through issues related to college life.
The Grace Ambassadors (the Young Adults) will need to figure out when they will meet throughout this summer, as previously they met during the Sunday School hour. They are welcome to join the Living Stones during the Sunday School hour!
The Living Stones (the older adults) are meeting on Friday nights to talk about dealing with temptation as well as learning about mentoring – investing in the lives of others – something that is necessary for discipleship to continue! During Sunday School, the Living Stones will be finishing up their OT Survey this week, and will begin a class on Evangelism the following week.
The Ladies Bible Study which meets on Tuesday afternoon will continue to meet in the summer. The next scheduled date is July 18. They are still working through a study about the Fruit of the Spirit.
HomebuildersToo! (the family fellowship of CrossPoint Community) is taking a break for the summer since many members are traveling (like myself!). We’ll meet up again on the second and fourth Saturday’s of the month beginning in September.
The Youth Ministry will be sending out a team to join The Boston Project Ministries this coming Sunday. They will serve from July 9 to 14. There will be other opportunities for service – July 16 (VBS decorations), July 26-27 and August 2-3 (for Summer Youth Service Projects). Then many youth will help with VBS – August 7-11. They also have a family beach day planned for July 22.
The Kid’s Ministry is planning and preparing for VBS. But in the meantime, they are working to continue to welcome and serve the children who attend on Friday and Sunday. Pray for them as they still need some key co-worker roles to be filled!
Also, please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. The last I heard, both sides are making accusations that the other is going to destroy the Nuclear Power plant – in order to blame the other side. Please pray that there will not be a nuclear disaster again in Ukraine (Remember Chernobyl). Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (July 7 – July 13, 2023):
1. Tonight, July 7, 2023, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to continue our study about Dealing with Temptation. You can read Ephesians 6:1-20 in preparation for this time of fellowship. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link at 7:30 pm:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Also, the Empower Fellowship continues to meet in Room A-201A this week!
2. The Living Stones Sunday School will once again meet in A-216 for Sunday School for the remainder of the summer. I’m not sure what the Grace Ambassadors Sunday School will be doing, but they are welcome to join the Living Stones. The Empower Sunday School is meeting in A-202a to memorize Scripture and talk about issues related to college life, this Sunday, July 9, at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)
You can join the Living Stones Sunday School online!
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, July 9, 2023, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL!
Text: John 16:23-24
Title: Joy in Prayer
Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, such as this week (July 12) at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We will not grow in Christ without growing in our dependence on God through prayer. In July, we will be taking time to pray with the acronymn JOY (Jesus, Others, Yourself). The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. We have a missions update (so check out the missions tab from the bulletin)! This week, we have an update from J and J, serving in East Asia. Last summer, they relocated to Thailand when God opened doors for them to return to Asia to work alongside old coworkers from East Asia in church planting, discipling, and meeting community needs. They continue to support their brothers and sisters in East Asia through regular discipleship virtually. Please check out the tab to keep them in your prayers.
2. Sunday Lunch Service is taking a Summer Vacation. It will return in September.
3. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. Please note, wearing a face mask to church is now optional.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. The one who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God. Truly, our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. We’d be glad to pray for you. If you need prayer, you can submit your prayer request via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL