Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Note: This is the final weekly update of 2022.
I love Christmas carols. I’m talking about the ones you find in the hymnal – written throughout the years by Christians who have loved Jesus (even if they have been somewhat historically inaccurate – such as in “We Three Kings”). So I want to highlight a Christmas carol for you today.
In the carol/hymn “O Come, All Ye Faithful”, the first verse encourages those of us who are faithful – who have been waiting for the coming of Christ, to come and behold Christ, the one born King of the angels. We are to adore Jesus Christ, who is the Lord. Is he the Lord of your life? Does he get to tell you what to do and how to live?
In the second verse, we are introduced to more theology. He is God of God, Light of Light eternal. And even though this is true, he doesn’t avoid/abhor taking such a dependent, humble place. Think of it, the God who created everything became a zygote in his mother’s womb. Once again, we are brought to remember that this is very God – one who is begotten not created. The Son of God comes from the Father, but is not created.
In the third verse, we speak to angels to tell them to sing! Do you realize the audacity of us directing angels? But we are telling them to do what they love to do – sing glory to God. So they sing “Glory to god, all glory in the highest.” It is our great and glorious God whom we come to adore – Christ the Lord.
The fourth verse concludes with a welcome to our Lord and Savior, whose birth we celebrate. He is the Word of the Father (from John 1), but now in flesh he has shown up. Our God shows up at unexpected times, in unexpected places, in unexpected ways. But more on that at tomorrow night’s Christmas Eve service!
As you hear or sing Christmas carols, may they lead you to sing praises and glory to God.
Please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
Add Your Heading Text Here
1. Tonight, Dec. 23, 2022, and next week, Dec. 30, 2022, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is taking a break. Enjoy time with family who is visiting or whom you are visiting, and join us for worship on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School is not meeting this Sunday, Dec. 25. But we will be meeting for a fellowship time on Jan. 1st, for those who can wake up and join us. We will meet on Jan 1, 2023, in Room A-216 at 9:45 to get to know each other better.
3. This Sunday, Dec. 25, 2022, at 9:45 am, and next Sunday, Jan. 1st, 2023 Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Dec. 25 Text: Luke 1:54-55, Heb. 2:14-18
Jan. 1, 2023 Text: Luke 11:11-13
b. Dec. 25 Title: The Ultimate Delivery
Jan. 1 Title: The Best Gift
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming December 28, 2022 and the following week, Jan. 4, 2023 at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for next year’s strategic goals as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are also tracking community spread. If we are in a high risk of community spread, we recommend mask-wearing to church activities.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
2. Sunday Lunch Service is not happening on Dec. 25 or Jan. 1, 2023 but will be back at CBCGL on Jan. 8th with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
3. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from Chris and Emily Cheng who serve in Japan. They are still in the period of language and cultural acquisition. Pray for rest and renewal to overcome cultural change fatigue. They also have praises! Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL