Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
This morning, my mask smells like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Throughout the pandemic, we’ve been encouraged to wear masks for our health and the health of those around us. I don’t know if it has happened to you, but there have been times for me where my mask hasn’t quite been fresh. Maybe I left it in the car too long or, like this morning, had it sitting in the bag with my lunch.
A couple of months ago, I had to put on a mask which was stored with a pack of mint flavored gum. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mask was refreshing and even enjoyable to wear. (tbh – “to be honest” – I like PB and J, so I’m not bothered by my fragrant mask today).
But having a fragrant mask has got me thinking. As Christians, we are carriers of the fragrance of Christ (cf. 2 Cor. 2:14-17). Just as a mask takes on the fragrance of the object it is next to, so too, we take on the fragrance of Christ through our time spent in his presence. We take on the fragrance of Christ through the indwelling Holy Spirit at work in and through us. For some, as Paul writes, our fragrance is a fragrance from life to life. For others, our fragrance of Christ is a fragrance from death to death. Either way, we are a fragrance of Christ.
My hope for you is that you understand that, as a Christian, you are a fragrance of Christ. You carry/represent him to those around you. Another way to say this is that you are like the moon, reflecting the light of the Son of God (cf. 2 Cor. 4:16). So as you look at your life, how can you increase the fragrance of Christ in you, so that others may be drawn to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?
This Week (August 13 – 19, 2021):
1. Tonight, Aug. 13, 2021, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together. You can join online!
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
There is also in-person Empower College Fellowship. Tonight, we will meet in the upstairs cafeteria (A-202) beginning at 7:30 pm (due to the ongoing renovation). If you are a college student or graduate, join us; or you have one at home, tell them to come. We hope to see you/them there!
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and Empower/YAs Sunday School – on August 15– is meeting at 9:45 am.
a. The Empower Fellowship will have Sunday Sharing at 9:45 am (in-person and online)! Info is found on the Empower facebook page for the google meet link.
b. The Young Adults will join Empower for Sunday Sharing as we discuss how we can grow in faith.
c. The “Essentials of Worship” Sunday School is this Sunday in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Aug. 15, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for me! Join us for in person worship!
a. Text: Job 40:1-14
b. Title: Silence and Salvation
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
d. Coworker reminder.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form has been updated. If you haven’t completed a waiver, please do so. The updated waiver can be found at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver You are required to have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities.
2. Meet with Angie and me in person! We are now hosting meetings online or in our home for participants in CrossPoint Community Ministry. To sign-up, use the following link: https://lowellchurch-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/nathan_willems_lowell_church/EccUw7hTOn1IkeJ_B1Eqp8EBUIKksUtMSLDZwEh0buI3SA?e=UPtpIM
3. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. “He who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God.” – Charles Burgess Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults / Empower Prayer Meeting: Wednesday night @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Pastor Nathan Willems, Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL