Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
What a week since last Friday! Following a time of gatherings, food, and sharing (and a few close contacts with those who tested positive for COVID on Sunday), we are going to be fully online this weekend, with the hope of returning to church on Dec. 10th (a week from today). I hope this announcement finds you doing well, staying healthy, and enjoying a bit more time since you aren’t commuting to CBCGL this weekend.
Here are a couple of things to note:
1. The planned fundraising lunch for Youth STM has been postponed to January. It was supposed to be held on Dec. 5. Please sign-up to buy a meal and support youth STM in 2022!
2. The Tuesday afternoon Bible Study at CBCGL on Dec. 7 will either be canceled or moved online. This is due to CBCGL showing an abundance of caution given that known close contacts (including me) were at CBCGL on Nov. 28.
As we wrap up the book of Philippians this Sunday, I wanted to highlight some truths about giving. First, the book of Philippians, if anything, is a letter written to the church in Philippi to express thanks to the church for their support. They had been partners in the gospel (1:5); they had given a sacrificial offering in faith to support Paul (2:17); they shared with Paul in his trouble (4:14); they had been the only ones in Macedonia to partner with Paul in giving and receiving (4:15) having sent him financial assistance more than once (4:16).
Second, when we give, the Lord takes note. Our Lord receives our financial gifts given to others as a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to Him. Do you see your giving as an offering, as a sacrifice, as something you can do that pleases God? Does your giving amount to an afterthought or to a sacrifice – something that is costly?
Third, you can’t give more than God. Our giving is always derivative, in other words, we only ever give what has been given to us (1 Chronicles 29:14). God supplies all of our needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19). One commentator even notes, the needs of earth (man) never outstrip the supplies of heaven (God). Moreover, when we think about sacrificial giving, there is no one who has given more than God. The poor widow put in all the money she had (Mark 12:41-44), but God gave us himself – in his presence on earth, in the person, work, life and death of Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit who lives in us. All Glory be to God, through our Lord Jesus Christ!
Finally, this is the last month of 2021 when you can give financially to support the ministry of CrossPoint Community and CBCGL. Please make sure that if you have moved, you update your address with the treasurer so that he can send you your donation receipt. Please give generously so that we have the resources to serve the community and share the good news of the generosity and abundance of our God!
This Week (Dec. 3 – Dec. 9):
1. Tonight, on Dec. 3, 2021, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us online at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together “Confidence in the midst of Uncertainty” from the life of Abraham in Genesis 16-17. You can join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – on Dec. 5 – is meeting exclusively Online at 9:45 am. (i.e. Don’t go to CBCGL, no one else will be there!)
a. The Young Adults will be meeting at 9:45 am (online only)! We will be studying the Gospel of John and taking time for Scripture recitation. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “A Guide to Christian Beliefs” Sunday School is this Sunday online only this week via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Dec. 5, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for exclusively online worship!
a. Text: Philippians 4:10-23
b. Title: Joyful Accounting
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
d. Note: There will be communion, so prepare communion elements at home!
4. This coming Wednesday, Dec. 8, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praising and thanking God – just taking the whole night to give thanks! The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form has been updated. If you have not completed a waiver, please do so. You can find the updated waiver at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver. You must have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities. Note: the following is the most recent guidance from the COVID task force.
a. Wearing a face mask is required to attend indoor church activities regardless of vaccination status except when preaching, teaching, or leading the worship service.
b. After international or domestic travel by plane, self-quarantine for ten days before attending church in-person activities or follow state and CDC recommendations or requirements (such as fully vaccinated individuals who have traveled obtaining a negative COVID Test before in-person participation).
c. MPR room is limited only for no contact sports, e. g. pong-pong, badminton, etc., and otherwise pre-approved activities.
6. We invite you to join our Alpha Tuesday Online Course for Adults and Youth this coming Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2021, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm. #AlphaCourse for adults and youth is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment. Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Sept. 28, 2021 – Dec. 14, 2021, 7:30pm – 8:30pm (1 hour – EST).
Here is the Zoom Meeting Info:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
Contact: Marina Lam
7. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults Prayer Meeting: Wednesday nights @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Nathan Willems – Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – a Ministry of the Chinese Bible Church of Greater Lowell