Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Important Note: October 2021 is the last month in which you will receive direct e-mails containing CrossPoint Community News. You will still receive updates via the church website by subscribing to CrossPoint Community Ministry News (via the “Subscribe to our News” button at the bottom of the webpage).
If you are a member, make sure you vote before 12 (noon) on Oct. 24 for our congregational meeting. We are voting on confirming council members, deacons, and elders. Also, block out time to attend the congregational meeting from 1:30 to 3:30 pm. I look forward to seeing you there!
At our Annual Congregational Meeting, we will talk about the church theme for 2022. Our vision remains unchanged: “Seeking to Transform Lives and Communities.” However, a specific focus for next year is on the idea of God reviving us again.
As I was reading my Bible this morning, the theme of streams in the desert showed up in 2 Kings 3:16-18 and Psalm 114. In Psalm 114, the Psalmist states that the Lord “turns the rock into a pool of water, the flint into a spring of water.” This statement is likely a reference to the Exodus, when God miraculously provided water from a rock for His people in the wilderness, not once but twice. In 2 Kings 3, the kings of Israel and Judah set out to fight against Moab. They march for seven days around Edom, but they end up near Moab without water for their army or their animals. They seek the Lord through the prophet Elisha, and God speaks through Elisha: “Thus says the Lord, ‘I will make this dry streambed full of pools.’ For thus says the Lord, ‘You shall not see wind or rain, but that streambed shall be filled with water, so that you shall drink, you, your livestock, and your animals.’ This is a light thing in the sight of the Lord….”
Our God is a God of miracles. He works to bring life out of death, water out of rocks, streams out of the desert. I have heard it said that New England is rocky soil for the gospel. Nevertheless, it is a light thing in the sight of the Lord to bring renewal, refreshing, and life. We simply need to depend on God, drinking deeply of the Living Water – so that we have the strength to go where He wants us to go and do what He wants us to do.
This Week (Oct. 22 – Oct. 28):
1. Tonight, on Oct. 22, 2021, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together “The Basis of Confidence” from the life of Abraham in Genesis 12. You can join in person in Room A-216 or online. https://zoom.us/j/685376249?pwd=cWtyUk1pckJiRHJxZVZCSGdJZWw2UT09
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – on Oct. 24 – is meeting in-person / and Online at 9:45 am.
a. The Young Adults will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202 and online)! We will be studying the Gospel of John and taking time for Scripture recitation. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “A Guide to Christian Beliefs” Sunday School is this Sunday in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Oct. 24, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for in-person worship!
a. Text: Philippians 2:19-30
b. Title: Examples Worthy of the Lord
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
d. Also, join us for the Annual Congregational Meeting at 1:30 pm in the main sanctuary. The meeting will run from 1:30 to 3:30 (with the final 30 minutes set aside for Q and A).
4. This coming Wednesday, Oct. 27, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form has been updated. If you have not completed a waiver, please do so. You can find the updated waiver at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver. You must have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities. Note: the following is the most recent guidance from the COVID task force.
a. Wearing a face mask is required to attend indoor church activities regardless of vaccination status except when preaching, teaching, or leading the worship service.
b. After international or domestic travel by plane, self-quarantine for ten days before attending church in-person activities or follow state and CDC recommendations or requirements (such as fully vaccinated individuals who have traveled obtaining a negative COVID Test before in-person participation).
c. MPR room is limited only for no contact sports, e. g. pong-pong, badminton, etc., and otherwise pre-approved activities.
6. We invite you to join our Alpha Tuesday Online Course for Adults and Youth this coming Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm. #AlphaCourse for adults and youth is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment. Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Sept. 28, 2021 – Dec. 14, 2021, 7:30pm – 8:30pm (1 hour – EST).
Here is the Zoom Meeting Info:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
Contact: Marina Lam
7. Lunch is coming back to CBCGL! Beginning Oct. 24, 2021, you can get a $4 pre-boxed lunch from the cafeteria (as we follow all regulations and guidelines for food service). In order to obtain lunch, you must pre-order by 11 pm on the preceding Friday (so Oct. 22 for Oct. 24 lunch, Oct. 29 for Oct. 31 lunch, etc.). Please bring your own drink! Here is the link:
https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA (Have you eaten yet?)
8. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
- Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you cannot participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults Prayer Meeting: Wednesday nights @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
- Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your co-laborer, SDG,