Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
What are ways that you can show care and concern for others? Last week, from 1 Thess. 2:17-3:5, we were reminded that when we love others, we show care and concern for them. So what are some ways that you can show care and concern for others?
1. We show up. – This weekend there are a number of students who are graduating from high school. One way you can show your care and concern for them is to attend graduation (without grumbling!). Also, when people go through tragedy, particularly unexpected tragedy, it is best for us to show up and just listen, or simply be present. We don’t have to know what to say, but we can show our care and concern by showing up.
2. We speak up – When we care about someone, we can let them know. I realize that this is more of a Western cultural phenomenon – like Words of Affirmation or Encouragement. But when we speak, we want to do what builds others up (cf. Eph. 4:29), even if it is criticism, to share things that will help them, because of our care and concern.
3. We send up – We can send up prayers on behalf of those for whom we care. You may feel like prayer is a waste of time (or at least that you have better things to do). But prayer calls on God to bring his resources to bear on behalf of the other. You don’t have to be present to pray for another person. You can pray anytime and anywhere. And if you don’t know what to pray for another person, look in Paul’s letters and use some of those prayers (such as the ones in 1 Thess. 3:11-13, or 1 Thess. 1:2-4).
4. We stand up – We can advocate for the needs of others. When we recognize a need, and we have the means to meet the need, we can step up to meet that need. When we don’t know how to support a cause or an individual, we can learn more about them, and then share with others why we have come to care for those people, those causes, to encourage others to show similar care and concern.
Which of these 4 is easiest for you? Which of these 4 could you grow in? For whom do you show care and concern? Do they know it? What will you do to show it?
May God have mercy, and please continue to pray for Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (June 3 – June 9, 2022):
1. Tonight, June 3, 2022, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us from 7:30-9:30 as we take time to sing, share, and study the topic “Watch for Christ’s Return”. You can read Matt. 24:23-31 in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School, YAs/Empower Sunday School will continue our combined Sunday School on this Sunday, June 5, called, “Radical and Practical Generosity”. We’ll be talking about being Servants with the resources God has given. Please join us in the Upstairs Cafeteria (Room A-202) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, June 5, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: 1 Thessalonians 3:6-13
b. Title: What Brings a Pastor Joy
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming June 8, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. Invite your friends, neighbors, and co-workers! On June 18, beginning at 4 pm, CBCGL is having a Block Party (where we welcome the Local community for games, food, and even a bouncy house). At 7 pm, we have the privilege of hosting the Hyssongs who will share a concert with us. (See the poster at the top of this post) We hope to see you there!
2. We invite you to join our Alpha Tuesday Online Course this coming Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm. #AlphaCourse for adults and youth is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment. Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Apr. 26, 2022 – June 28, 2022, 7:30pm – 8:30pm (1 hour – EST).
Here is the Zoom Meeting Info:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
Contact: Marina Lam
3. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the taskforce has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note that you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
4. Lunch service is back at CBCGL! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that we can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
5. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries. This week, there is an update about the Ronald Yu, who is entering retirement, following the past three years of mentoring a new leader for China Ministries International. Check it out!
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin). Particularly, check out the Children’s ministry Tab to sign-up, show-up, serve, and see God at work in the next generation!
1. Our attitude towards prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL