Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
First, thanks for your faithful reading of these weekly updates. Sorry that I missed sending out an update last week. I was busy with clean-up and resting from VBS, and then returning to church for Empower, so I missed sending out an update.
Second, as we come to an end of the summer, we have some firsts to look forward to. This coming Sunday, Aug. 21, will be the first time that CBCGL’s Mandarin Pastor, Pastor Benjamin Tu, will preach for the CrossPoint Community service. We are glad to welcome him to share God’s word with us. Next Saturday, Aug. 28, will be the first time we are doing a CPC Potluck at church this year. (It’s likely that we will have a potluck on Thanksgiving too!) The potluck on Aug. 27th is from 3 pm to 7 pm, with food being served around 5 pm (so that there is some time for grilling). You can sign up for this potluck here.
Third, we are coming to the end of some things too. Many college students (Empower Fellowship) are returning back to school this coming week. Some have already headed out to college this past week. We are wrapping up our summer study on calling on August 26th. Gone also are the weeks used for vacations as school is starting back up for families. But this return to school with COVID restrictions being almost completely removed may cause some anxiety for families. Keep these families in your prayers as the end of summer vacation is right around the corner. Other things ending are the Friday Night study in 1 Peter, to be completed by Sept. 9th. We also will be coming to the end of “Life is a Journey” Sunday School on Sept. 25th (So it’s still a ways away).
Also, please continue to pray for the situation in the Taiwan Strait and in Ukraine. May God have mercy on the nations of Taiwan and Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray for Ukraine: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (Aug. 12 – Aug. 18, 2022):
1. Tonight, Aug. 12, 2022, Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to sing, share, and begin a study in the book of 1 Peter. You can read 1 Peter (Particularly 1 Peter 4:1-11) in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School is on Aug. 14.
a. The Young Adults and Empower will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! For the first 15 minutes, Pastor Benjamin Owino will sharing about his ministry in Uganda (Let the Needy Smile). We will, after that, have an end of summer potluck – likely in the courtyard. Activities will be led by a collaboration between YA and College Students. Info is found on the YAs Messenger Chat Channel or the Empower Messenger chat.
b. “Life is a Journey” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, August 21, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Benjamin Tu will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Romans 14:1-8
b. Title: To eat or not to eat: that is not the question!
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming Aug. 24, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Taiwan and Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance follows CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the taskforce has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
2. Lunch service on Sundays is suspended for the summer at CBCGL. See you in September when lunch prices will be $5 per lunchbox!
3. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from J and J, who serve in East Asia, but have been relocated to Thailand due to COVID. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL