Greetings, EM family,
I pray that you have a fruitful and spiritual week.
The 32nd Summer Olympics was originally scheduled to start next week in Tokyo, Japan. But due to the unexpected widespread COVID-19, it has been postponed one year to start on July 23, 2021 (Friday). A piece of recent news reminded me of the game’s postponement, as well as an old movie called “Chariots of Fire.”
“Chariots of Fire” was based on a true story of two British sprinter athletes competing in the 1924 Olympics: Eric Liddell, a Scottish athlete and missionary to China, and Harold Abrahams, an English Jew who eventually won the gold medal in the 100-meter dash. Eric Liddell refused to participate in the 100m heats because it was held on a Sunday (July 6, 1924). As a devout Christian, Eric chose to observe Sabbath honor God’s commandment. Eric went to compete in the 400-meter race instead. In the movie, Liddell’s American contestant Jackson Scholz, hands him a note of support before the race, quoting part of 1 Samuel 2:30
30 Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares:’I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,’ but now the LORD declares: ‘Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed.
(1 Samuel 2:30, ESV)
Eric Liddell beat the American favorites and won the 400-meter race gold medal.
What prompted me to share this story is because of the famous quote Harold Abrahams said in the movie before his 100-meter race: “Ten lonely seconds to justify my whole existence.”
It took Harold Abrahams 10.6 seconds to finish the race and won a gold medal. If a single race can justify your entire existence, indeed, you are very lonely during the run. You are waiting to see if your labor will bear any fruit, earn any recognition, or gain any identity. This competition for Harold Abrahams was to prove that his existence mattered.
Eric Liddell also believed that his whole existence has a purpose; however, he “ran to glorify God” because God had made him fast. Eric Liddell had found his identity as a son of God, a servant of the Lord. After the Olympics and his graduation from Cambridge University, Eric Liddell returned to China as a missionary from 1925 to 1943. Eric Liddell later died in Weixian Internment Camp, Shandong province, on February 21, 1945. He was born on January 16, 1902, in Tianjin, China, to a missionary family. He was 43.
To Apostle Paul, “to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21, ESV). How about you, do you still try to justify your whole existence?
- Friday Night’s Bible Study will start a new book from Lifeway. You may dial in or login via your phone or personal computer:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
- This Sunday, Pastor Raymond Lee will be sharing God’s word with us:
- Sunday bulletin: http://cbcgl.org/ministries/english-ministry/em-weekly-bulletin/
- EM Sunday School
Topic: CBCGL EM Sunday Class “52 Major Stories of the Bible” (9:45 am – 11:00 am):
Join Zoom Meeting (Note the different link)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
YAs Sunday School (via Microsoft Teams)
YAs Sunday School signup sheet:
- English Ministry will host CBCGL Alpha Online starting on September 8 (Tuesday) from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Please invite your friends and family to join the Alpha Online course. Contact: Marina Lam (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alpha is a chance to explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open, and informal online environment:
Join us for a great conversation with others who are exploring life and faith; no strings attached.
Start Date: September 8
Day & Time: Tuesday, 7:30pm to 8:30pm
* Alpha Talk Video (30min)
* Discussion (30min)
Meeting ID: 879 6851 0141
Contact: Marina Lam
Google voice phone: (201) 824-2922
- Application for in-church activities can be obtained from Deacon Chair Tony Ge at email@example.com
- The second quarter ministry progress survey is ongoing. Please fill out the survey at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-2020-survey to participate.
- New health waiver form has been posted online at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to fill out the latest form if you plan to participate any activities at church.
- Deacon nomination is ongoing. Please go online to fill out any recommendation:
- Chinese QR Code for 2020-2021 Registration form:
- All other announcement items can be found here.
- Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 pm – 9:15 pm)
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Wednesday night EM prayer meeting @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85357847170?pwd=OC9EbmY2OXltalNuRVRZUDF6RjkwQT09
Meeting ID: 853 5784 7170
- Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance, or announce any give-away items. It is a new attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours: