Dear EM family,
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
As Labor Day is approaching, so is the end of Summer 2020, unfortunately…
This summer seems to fly by very fast. Usually, my family takes a week break during the summer for vacation or relaxation. It feels like something is missing when a vacation is not happening, and summer is coming to an end.
A few days ago, a friend from Roatan Island, Honduras, pinged me via Facebook message. Wilson was our tour guide when we visited Roatan Island last year during our vacation.
During the chat, I asked Wilson how he was during the pandemic. I know he was in the tourist business. When the pandemic hit, all the leisure travel must have come to a halt.
“Hit me very hard,” Wilson said.
“I am four months out of work now because of no tourists.”
I knew they did not make much. Without any tourists, that means no more income; their lives would be even more challenging.
While feeling bad for him, I asked him, “wow… then how do you survive?”
Wilson and me (it is Iguana meat I am pointing at)
“I eat fish every day…” Wilson said.
Seafood is an expensive delicacy here. But eating fish was Wilson’s last resort to stay afloat.
Somehow his response reminds me of God’s manna for the Israelites. Exodus 16:31 describes manna,
31 Now the house of Israel called its name manna. It was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.
(Exodus 16:31, ESV)
7 Now the manna was like coriander seed, and its appearance like that of bdellium.
(Numbers 11:7, ESV)
After a while, the Israelites started to complain about manna to Moses,
5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic.
6 But now our strength is dried up, and there is nothing at all but this manna to look at.”
(Numbers 11:5-6, ESV)
In Ecclesiastes 7:14, “In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him.” (ESV)
God wants us to put our trust in Him. We may not understand why some persons or businesses hit hard by the pandemic, while others prosper. But one thing we do know is that,
11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
(Jeremiah 29:11, ESV)
That is God’s promise. So let’s encourage one another, count our blessings, and give thanks to the Lord.
11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thessalonians 5:11,18, ESV)
Isn’t it also a blessing that we could enjoy a Labor Day weekend in such lovely weather? Remember to make the most of it!
May you be blessed by God’s promises.
- CBCGL English Ministry Sunday Service Reopen Survey. If you haven’t filled out the survey, please take the time to fill one out.
- Friday Night’s Bible Study will start a new book from Lifeway. You may dial in or login via your phone or personal computer:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
- This Sunday, Pastor Nathan will be sharing God’s word with us:
Note that next Sunday, we will have a Youth Ministry candidate coming and sharing God’s Word. His name is Cody Riggins. Please pray about this opportunity to know him, and may God reveal His will.
- EM Sunday School
Topic: CBCGL EM Sunday Class “52 Major Stories of the Bible” (9:45 am – 11:00 am):
Join Zoom Meeting (Note the different link)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Dial-in from your phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
YAs Sunday School (via Microsoft Teams)
YAs Sunday School signup sheet:
- English Ministry will host Alpha Online starting on September 8 (Tuesday) from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Please invite your friends and family to experience the Alpha Online.
Signup for EM Alpha Online!
Contact: Marina Lam
Google voice phone: (201) 824-2922
- A new health waiver form has been posted online at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to fill out the latest form if you plan to participate in any activities at church.
- Deacon nomination is ongoing. Please go online to fill out any recommendation:
- All other announcement items can be found here.
- Prayer is an essential part of the Christian life! Please consider joining our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 pm – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
- Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is a new attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours: