Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Today is the opening ceremony of the delayed 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. I have yet to see it myself but hope to catch up in the coming days. Personally, I have always loved the Olympics. It is an international event that seeks to bring people together to compete in specific events that test athleticism, teamwork, and training. I can still remember specific Olympics throughout the years and the wonder of watching people accomplish feats of excellence and unparalleled performance. Those who achieve the pinnacle of their sport are awarded medals to distinguish their accomplishments. They often are regarded as heroes in their home country. Getting to witness history often causes spectators to rejoice!
This morning, I am reminded that while the Olympics are great, they are a mutable good. They are a good thing that changes. Olympic stars rise and fall. But we serve a God of immutable good. God’s goodness never changes.
Because of what Jesus has done for us on the cross and in his resurrection, because God has graciously sent us his Spirit, because God has opened wide the throne of grace that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need, we can rejoice. We can extol that feat of excellence and unparalleled performance of Christ in his willing submission to the plan and purpose of God Our Father which led Christ into and through death into the glorious reality of the resurrection. We can rejoice in the infinite wisdom of God and his power which permits suffering, but also works in the midst of our suffering, helping us to learn and grow. We can praise God that He alone can take the worst difficulties and trials in our lives and use them to accomplish good in, for, and through us.
As you take time to enjoy the Olympics, may they remind you of the greater good which is to be found in our God and the miraculous things he has accomplished and is still accomplishing as he invites, transforms, and still works miracles today.
This Week (July 23 – July 29, 2021):
1. Tonight, July 2, 2021, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together. You can join us online!
Meeting ID: 685 376 249 Password: 840840
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
There is also in-person Empower College Fellowship. We are meeting in the upstairs Sanctuary beginning at 7:30 pm (even in the midst of the ongoing renovation)! If you are a college student or graduate, join us; or you have one at home, tell them to come. We hope to see you/them there!
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – on July 25 – is meeting in-person / and Online at 9:45 am.
a. The Empower Fellowship will have Sunday Sharing at 9:45 am (in-person and online)! Info is found on the Empower facebook page.
b. The Young Adults will join Empower for Sunday Sharing.
c. The “Essentials of World Missions” Sunday School continues this Sunday in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link::
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, July 25, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for me! Join us for in-person worship!
Text: Job 36:5-25
Title: God The Teacher
Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
Administration and Events:
4. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form has been updated. If you haven’t completed a waiver, please do so. The former waiver can be found at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to have completed this form or the updated form and follow their guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities.
5. Meet with Angie and me in person! We are now hosting meetings in our home for participants in CrossPoint Community Ministry. To sign-up, use the following link: Meeting with the Willems
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. “He who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God.” – Charles Burgess Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults / Empower Prayer Meeting: Wednesday night @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Pastor Nathan Willems, Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL