Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
In our summer series on Job, we looked at chapter 1 last Sunday. We learned that suffering reveals who we are and on whom or on what we rely. Job was a blameless and upright man who feared God and turned away from evil. He relied on the Lord – saying “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”
God re-affirms Job’s identity in chapter 2, verse 3. Satan once again speaks out against job in his diabolical cynicism which refuses to see good in Job. Once again, Satan is given permission to torment Job, this time afflicting Job with health issues – painful sores that broke out all over his body.
To make matters worse, his wife has given up hope and even despises her husband: “Do you still hold fast your integrity?” She encourages him to do what he has refused to do – namely curse God. But even in his pain and the social pressure to give up hope, Job responds, “Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil (aka disaster)?”
This morning, in my prayers, using “The Valley of Vision” I prayed, “All my desires have not been gratified, but thy love denied them to me when fulfillment of my wishes would have proved my ruin or injury.” There are times in our lives when God permits suffering or God refuses to give us what we ask. In both of these situations, it is tempting to act like a child a accusing God of being evil. But God is greater than our hearts. God is working all things for our good and for his glory. God’s plans prevail.
This is most clearly seen at Calvary (the place where Jesus died.) Even there, when God permitted his Son to suffer and God refused to remove the cup from Jesus, Jesus, the truer and better Job, submitted to God’s plan and suffered and died. But God vindicated our Lord Jesus Christ by raising him from the dead.
We may not be able to see what God is doing, especially in the midst of our suffering. But we can trust that He is able, willing and actively working to bring about His good purposes for us and for his glory.
This Week (June 11 – June 17, 2021):
- Tonight, June 11, 2021, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us at 7:30 as we take time to sing, share and study together. Join us!
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
There is also in-person Empower College Fellowship. We are meeting in the upstairs Sanctuary beginning at 7:30 pm! If you are a college student or graduate, or you have one at home, come, or tell them to come. We hope to see you/them there!
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School – on June 13 – is meeting again at 9:45 am.
a. The Empower Fellowship will have its first Sunday Sharing at 9:45 am! Join us online as we talk about the Sunday Sharing schedule for the summer. Info is found on the Empower facebook page.
b. The Young Adults are meeting as a large group this weekend discussing David Platt’s book, “Radical.”
c. The “Essentials of World Missions” Sunday School continues this Sunday via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone:+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, June 13, Pastor Raymond Lee will be preaching. Pray for him!
- Text: Exodus 20:1-17
- Title: The Ten Commandments and Modern Life
- Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/resources/live-stream/
- Coworker reminder.
- Note: We will be taking communion together. Please prepare elements at home. Also, this is the second to last online worship service we will hold before returning to weekly in-person worship in July.
Administration / Events
4. Tuesday Night Alpha began on March 23. We have our final meeting this coming Tuesday night, from 7:30 – 8:30 pm. Pray for God’s work in and through Alpha and invite your friends. The zoom link can be found here:
Meeting ID: 820 8069 5483
5. CBCGL’s COVID-19 waiver form can be found at http://bit.ly/cbcgl-covid19-waiver
You are required to have completed this form and follow its guidance if you plan to participate in any in-person church activities.
6. Calling all VBS volunteers! It’s that time of year again! Our church will be hosting VBS 2021 from August 9th-13th. Looking for adult and youth volunteers who are willing to serve in VBS this year! Please apply using the link provided. Thank you! Here is the link: https://bit.ly/3eq9S4a
7. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community Ministry bulletin).
1. “He who lives without prayer lives as if there is no God.” – Charles Burgess Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Young Adults / Empower Prayer Meeting: Wednesday night @ 7:45 – 9:30 pm –
Meeting ID: 868 9398 2884
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from EM to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Pastor Nathan Willems, Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL