Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
In Hebrews 3, the author (Paul? Apollos?) writes: “Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” (Heb. 3:12-13). Why does he warn about being hardened? The sad truth is that it is possible to obtain a hardened heart, which leads us to fall away from the living God.
The author explains in Heb. 2:1 “Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it.” The trouble begins when we get distracted. Distractions from God abound. We are encouraged to consume, to binge, to experience things apart from God. So our focus shifts. We become less diligent about what we watch or take in through our ears. And we drift.
The slow drift we experience is like playing in the ocean. When we are focused on one point on the shore it is easy to notice that we are being pulled by the currents away. So, with our eyes fixed on where our towels and cooler are on the beach, we work against the current and make regular adjustments. But when we get distracted and play, or just enjoy riding the waves, it is easy to drift, even when we aren’t deeper than our waist. Without noticing it, we begin to drift. The same is experienced in our relationship with God. Without maintaining a focus on Him we begin to drift, because we are wading in the waters of our culture which pulls us away. Soon, without realizing it, we develop an evil, unbelieving heart and we fall away from the living God.
The problem with becoming hardened is that it is a slow process. It doesn’t happen like quick-drying super glue. It is more like clay. Once it is formed, it is set aside for a day, or days, to dry and become hardened, so that it can be glazed and fired in the kiln. We don’t even notice it. But when our focus shifts, so do our priorities. Then we lose passion. With a loss of passion for God, we give up on discipline in following God, and soon, we have lost commitment to the only One who is life.
To avoid the slow drift, take time today to re-focus on God. Pray. Read God’s Word. Connect with your Creator and Lord. Confess ways that you have drifted. Take time to check in with a brother or sister in Christ and see how their doing. Exhort one another every day. Ask God to reveal where your heart is. Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.
May God have mercy, and please continue to pray for Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (June 24 – June 30, 2022):
1. Tonight, June 24, 2022, we will have Friday Night Bible Study. Join us from 7:30-9:30 as we take time to sing, share, and study the topic “Stay Prepared and Ready”. You can read John 25:1-13 in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School resumes on June 26.
a. The Young Adults and Empower will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202 and online)! We will be finishing the study in the Gospel of John and taking time for Scripture recitation (if we start on time). Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel and/or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “Life is a Journey” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, June 26, 2022, at 11:25 am, Elder Jeremy Wu will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
d. Note: We will have a 6th Grade Graduation Ceremony at the end of our service.
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming June 29, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the taskforce has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
2. Lunch service on Sundays is suspended for the summer at CBCGL. See you in the Fall!
3. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
– Particularly, check out the Children’s ministry Tab to sign-up, show-up, serve, and see God at work in the next generation, like at VBS in August.
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL