Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
You go on vacation for two weeks, and the world changes. (Also I know the picture is outdated, but you get the idea.)
Since I began vacation on June 23, the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) handed down the historic ruling putting an end to the federal right to an abortion. This decision had a draft opinion leaked months ago, and both sides of the abortion debate have been preparing for this day. Those who maintain that human life begins at conception rejoice that abortion is no longer federally guaranteed. This was something they have disputed since Roe v. Wade. Those who maintain that a woman has the federally guaranteed right to abortion lament that our country is going back to the 1950-60s regarding reproductive rights. They are concerned that women’s health and lives are at risk.
The topic of abortion is complicated, with lots of assumptions on both sides. What is clear from Scripture is that we, the Church, the People of God, are called to care for widows and orphans. We are to care for the unwed, pregnant mother as well as the unwanted, yet full of possibility child. We are also to care for the mothers who feel like they just can’t have another child, and work at developing support systems that enable life to flourish for both mother (and father) and child(ren). We are also to encourage a healthy, godly sexual ethic which maintains that sexual intimacy is best expressed within context of Christian marriage, so that the child has the best context for human life. May the Lord grant us grace, wisdom, and courage to care for others with significant needs since God has given us significant resources to be used for His purposes and His glory.
The War in Ukraine continues with Russia advancing into the West of Ukraine and into the South. This war has caused the displacement of some 17 million Ukrainians, as well as disruptions in the global food market, oil market (think high gas prices in the US), and other diplomatic difficulties (such as the trial of Brittany Griner). May God have mercy, and please continue to pray for Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
And just yesterday, in Japan, the retired yet longest-serving prime minister in the history of Japan, Shinzo Abe was assassinated after an election campaign speech. It seems that even with a police detail, he was not safe from the two gunshots which took his life.
In the midst of all of these changes, including the protection of and loss of life, we keep our focus on the One who is Life, who gives life, who sustains life, who knows our end, who knows every day of our lives before even one of them came to be. If the past couple of weeks have had you reeling, turn to Him, our Heavenly Father, and seek for His will to be done and His kingdom to come on earth as it is in Heaven.
This Week (July 8 – July 14, 2022):
1. Tonight, July 8, 2022, Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to sing, share, and begin a study in the book of 1 Peter. You can read 1 Peter (particularly 1 Peter 1:1-12) in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School is on July 10.
a. The Young Adults and Empower will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be deciding the content for the remainder of the summer as YAs and Empower learn and grow together. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “Life is a Journey” Sunday School discussing “Change” is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, July 10, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Raymond Lee will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Genesis 50:19-21
b. Title: U-Turning Adversity into a Big Pay-Day
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming July 13, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the taskforce has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
2. Lunch service on Sundays is suspended for the summer at CBCGL. See you in September when lunch prices will be $5 per lunchbox!
3. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? This week, we have an update from S and S, who are serving in Japan, specifically the Tokyo Bay area. They are leading worship, a running ministry, a women’s ministry, and a host of in-home meetings. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
– Particularly, check out the Children’s ministry Tab to sign-up, show-up, serve, and see God at work in the next generation, like at VBS in August.
For Example: VBS is approaching and your help is needed. Please join us on 7/17 afternoon for our once a year VBS decoration party. If you can paint, cut, and/or glue, you are the perfect candidate. Hope to see you on 7/17 afternoon. We will meet at the cafeteria in the children’s wing. Please e-mail Mark Ye at email@example.com if you will come so we can prepare lunch for you. In addition, we are collecting the following items. 1) Pool noodles 2) Large cardboard TV box 3) Art paint(not industrial paint). Black, gray or any color you have. 4) tube shaped cardboard 5) Paint brushes. 6) Solid color wrapping paper. Red, blue, yellow, any color will be fine. Please bring items to the “VBS collection Box” located at the main cafeteria and the children’s wing welcome area. Your donations is greatly appreciated!
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL