Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
For the remainder of the weekly updates and announcements in July, I’ll be highlighting what the different ministries in CrossPoint Community are doing. That way, you know what is going on in the ministry, and you can have conversations with those involved. This week, I’m letting you know about Empower and the Young Adults.
In the Empower Fellowship (English Speaking College Student Fellowship), we are studying the idea of calling on Friday Nights. God is the one who calls us; Jesus called his disciples; We can listen for the call of God even today. Our first calling, our primary calling, is not to a what or how or where, but to a who. We are first called to a person. Jesus makes this clear in John 15. Before we can be productive or fruitful, we have to be connected to, remain in, abide in Christ. Apart from Jesus, we can do nothing. In one book on calling that I am reading this summer, they quote Oswald Chambers when he writes: “The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for him.” (My Utmost for His Highest, p. 18) We can get so caught up in doing things for Jesus, or seeking to find out what God wants to do with our lives, that we forget our first calling. We can be devoted for Jesus only to the degree that we are devoted to Jesus.
The Empower Fellowship is also planning and implementing a variety of social activities. For example, last Saturday, a number gathered for a meal, for ice cream and for games. This Sunday, a number of the students will be engaged in a cooking competition for fun and fellowship. And, as always, some Empower students come to Game Night on Sunday Nights.
For the remainder of the summer, the Empower Fellowship is joining the Young Adult fellowship for Sunday School – where they will be discussing a grab-bag of topics – facilitated by both college students and young adults. They also are joining together for prayer meetings – which are happening in-person, bi-weekly throughout the summer.
The Young Adults (College graduates, working) are primarily meeting for prayer meeting, for Sunday School and serving elsewhere. For example, one young adult is helping to facilitate VBS decoration creation this coming Sunday, July 17. (You’re welcome to come, but you’ll need to bring your own lunch, since the deadline passed for lunch preparation). Another young adult is helping with Toastmasters and Alpha. Other young adults are working on follow-up from the block party. And still other young adults are working to plan/lead the remaining Sunday school classes for the summer.
Please pray for the Empower fellowship to grow in Christlikeness and build community. Pray for the Young Adults to continue to serve and grow, and have the support they need to do so.
Also, please continue to pray for Ukraine. May God have mercy on the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (July 15 – July 21, 2022):
1. Tonight, July 15, 2022, Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to sing, share, and begin a study in the book of 1 Peter. You can read 1 Peter (Particularly 1 Peter 1:13-2:5) in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School is on July 17.
a. The Young Adults and Empower will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be led by someone to talk about something. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat for the Teams Meeting Link.
b. “Life is a Journey” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, July 17, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Steven Chin will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
b. Title: God Created Sex
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming July 20, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the taskforce has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
2. Lunch service on Sundays is suspended for the summer at CBCGL. See you in September when lunch prices will be $5 per lunchbox!
3. Did you know that we have updated reports from our missionaries on a regular basis? This week, we have an update from Gordon and Maggie, who are serving in post-Christian France. They are serving students and churches in three different cities. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
– Particularly, check out the Children’s ministry Tab to sign-up, show up, serve, and see God at work in the next generation, like at VBS in August.
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL