Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
In the past few weeks, I’ve been highlighting what the different ministries in CrossPoint Community are doing. That way, you know what is going on in the ministry, and you can have conversations with those involved. This week, I’m letting you know about the Children’s Ministry (KM – Kids Ministry) – which serves families in CrossPoint Community.
Summer has been a time of flux for the Children. As you likely remember, the 6th graders graduated from Children’s ministry at the end of June. In July, lots of families were out due to travel (and due to COVID). So, there was one Friday night when only 4 children showed up! On Friday Nights, children learn a Bible story and play games (They are always looking for Games leaders, if you are interested, please contact Min. Katherine). On Sunday morning, they have Sunday School and children’s worship. In the midst of all the business and changes throughout July, KM (Kids Ministry) leaders have been gearing up for the coming week.
This coming Sunday, some 50+ people will be helping to set up for VBS! (Take Note, you may be asked to help stack chairs in the Sanctuary following worship on Aug. 7.) This enthusiastic group of youth and adults will be preparing for VBS (Vacation Bible School). The theme this year is Spark Studios, where campers (Pre-K to 6th graders) will talk about God the creator and ways we can live out being God’s masterpieces, created in Christ Jesus to do good works.
You can pray for VBS:
1. Pray that kids who come to VBS will encounter the living God and be transformed by his greatness.
2. Pray that VBS staff will have wisdom, energy, courage, and love for the week ahead.
3. Pray that participants in VBS (Staff and Students) would be healthy and that we would avoid catching / spreading COVID.
4. Pray that kids who come to VBS will want to come back (and bring their families) to church.
But VBS is not a Children’s ministry event. It is a ministry of the whole church, even if it is led by some people in KM. VBS is an outreach event. When we reach kids with the gospel, we reach whole families. When kids want to come to church, families often come to church. We want to see God transforming lives and communities in and through CBCGL. VBS is one way to do that.
Children’s (Kids) Ministry is also encouraging youth and adults to sign up for the “Empower God’s Children” training at CBCGB. This is for KM co-workers or for people interested in helping out with KM. That is happening on Aug. 27, from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm. You can register at https://sites.google.com/view/empowergodschildren2022/home?authuser=0.
They also will have a Family Kick-off on Sept. 11, at 1:30 pm. This will be a time for families to get to know what is going on for the Fall, and how Parents can be involved in Children’s (Kids) Ministry, and meet teachers or Friday Night Small Group leaders.
Also, please continue to pray for the situation in the Taiwan Strait and in Ukraine. May God have mercy on the nations of Taiwan and Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray for Ukraine: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (Aug. 5 – Aug. 11, 2022):
1. Tonight, Aug. 5, 2022, Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to sing, share, and begin a study in the book of 1 Peter. You can read 1 Peter (Particularly 1 Peter 3:1-7) in preparation. Join in person in Room A-216 or online.
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. CrossPoint Community Sunday School and YAs Sunday School is on Aug. 7.
a. The Young Adults and Empower will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be led by a collaboration between YA and College Students. Info is found on the YAs Teams Chat Channel or the Facebook Messenger chat.
b. “Life is a Journey” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, August 7, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
b. Title: The Day of the Lord
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming Aug. 10, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for Taiwan and Ukraine as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Also, the task force has notified all ministries that we will no longer be taking temperatures but are once again recommending face masks. Please note, you are once again recommended to wear facemasks to church.
2. Baptism Services will be happening in August! Join us on August 6 (10 am) or August 14 (2 pm), to welcome new brothers and sisters into the family of God, as recognized through their baptism.
3. The Youth Family Beach Trip has been postponed to Aug. 13. There will be a Summer Youth Service Project sharing tonight for students, and No LYF on August 12, due to VBS.
4. Lunch service on Sundays is suspended for the summer at CBCGL. See you in September when lunch prices will be $5 per lunchbox!
5. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from COCM, which is an organization that seeks to reach Chinese individuals in England to reach all of Europe with the gospel. Last week, they had a family camp with Short-Term Mission Co-workers from 10 different churches (including our own!). Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL