Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
This coming Sunday, October 23, is CBCGL’s annual Congregational Meeting. During our congregational meeting, we will be sharing more about the vision for CPC in the coming 3 years. We will also be voting to elect elder and deacon candidates. So, for this week’s update, let’s get to know some Christians – the candidates for elder and deacons.
Deacon Charles Wang is stepping down from his role as a deacon because, by Jan. 2023, he will have served two consecutive terms as a deacon. He is limited by our bylaw from serving any further consecutive terms as a deacon. But these two terms as a deacon also fulfill one of the requirements for serving as an elder. Charles Wang is a new elder candidate for the years 2023-2025. Charles loves the Lord and is glad to serve him, even pursuing theological education, so that he might be better equipped to serve the Lord moving forward. (But note, Seminary education is not a requirement for elders, though it is helpful!).
Brother Huadong Sun is a new deacon candidate. He has been a Christian for over ten years, having come to know the Lord at Princeton Chinese Church. Since moving to MA, he and his family have participated in ministry at CBCGL. He has served as a Sunday school teacher on the topic of Christian Ethics, for both the Mandarin congregation and the Youth Ministry. He is also presently serving as a fellowship chair (someone who is responsible for administration and some caring, according to my understanding).
Sister Yi Qing is also a new deacon candidate. She has been at CBCGL for over 7 years. She has a heart for service and outreach. She is presently helping as a nursery coordinator. She and her husband have been working at serving the fastest-growing fellowship at CBCGL – the young families in the Mandarin congregation. By God’s grace, they have been able to reach out and see many new families join CBCGL’s ministries in the past year, as we returned to in-person activities at CBCGL.
Brother John Huang is the third new deacon candidate. He has been serving with brothers and sisters at CBCGL for many years, particularly in the student fellowship at UMass Lowell and in helping set up the church website. He presently serves as part of the hospitality team within CrossPoint Community’s Ministry Committee. He has consistently been willing to help and has worked to invite families to join CPC’s HomeBuilder’s Too! Fellowship which meets every second and fourth Saturday Night.
Elder Chiang sent out an e-mail reminding you to vote in the election of the elder and deacon candidates this coming Sunday. For more information, feel free to read the information posted in the lobby outside of the main sanctuary. We look forward to seeing you at the congregational meeting this coming Sunday, from 1:30 to 3:30 pm!
Also, of note, Halloween is coming up. One of the places where most of the Halloween activities in MA take place is in Salem, MA. The First Baptist Church of Salem has put together a pdf for ways you can be praying for Salem all month long, up to and through Halloween. You can find that pdf here: https://www.firstbaptistchurchsalem.com/halloween
Please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
Add Your Heading Text Here
1. Tonight, Oct. 21, 2022, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to continue our study in James in order to live out our faith. You can read James 4:13-17 and James 5 in order to prepare. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School is on Oct. 23.
a. The Grace Ambassadors (Young Adults) will be meeting at 9:45 am (in-person in Room A-202)! We will be studying John 20. More Info is found on the YAs Messenger Chat. For further info, contact Liu Jiang.
b. “Understanding the Old Testatment” Sunday School is this Sunday at 9:45 in-person (Room A-216) and online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Oct. 23, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Matthew 6:7-8
b. Title: Why does God listen?
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming October 26, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for the nations as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
2. Sunday Lunch Service is back at CBCGL with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
3. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from Candy Zhang who serves with COCM (which focuses on reaching the Chinese to reach Europe). Candy has been working on putting together a ministry resources website; serving a Mandarin congregation; and helping to coordinate a Bible tour at a British museum. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. Save the Date: On October 23rd, from 1:30 to 3:30, CrossPoint Community will join CBCGL’s Annual Meeting to hear plans for 2023 and beyond, as well as vote for new deacon and elder candidates. A reminder: If you are a member, you are expected to be present at this meeting.
5. What if you could skip one dinner eating out and use the money saved to help someone in Uganda to receive a bike? $50 can send a bike to the very poor in Uganda who cannot even afford to use public transportation and must travel hours by foot to reach church or school. Skip a dinner-out and send a bike. Donation is easy. If God so prompts your heart to help, please visit Pastor Owino’s website Letneedysmile.org to donate to help pay the fee of shipping the bikes to Uganda. $50 to ship one bike; $100 to ship two bikes. You can ship as many bikes as God prompts you. When donating online (via Paypal), please denote the donation with “Shipping fee for bike”.
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL