Greetings EM family,
Today is St. Valentine’s Day. Wishing you a happy Valentine’s Day!
Not knowing enough of the origin of this day in history I was surprised to find the first day of this tradition was announced by Pope Gelasius back in 496 AD.
But it wasn’t until much later that this day was associated with love and affection, and for people to exchange candy, flowers, and gifts with their loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine.
You may read more about this tradition from reputable sources below:
The story of love reminded me of a famous phrase in the Song of Songs, “until it so desires” (2:7; 3:5; 8:4, NIV). The same phrase is translated to “until it pleases” in ESV Song of Solomon.
You can’t force someone to love you (as the picture showed above). God never uses His power to coerce us to obey Him. Instead, Jesus reminds us, if we love Him, we will keep His commandments (John 14:15). It is a response of those who receive salvation to show love towards the Lord of Heaven and Earth, much as we are buying chocolate or gifts for our loved one on Valentine’s Day.
May every day of your life is Valentine’s Day to our Savior Christ Jesus.
Another topic to share is the ongoing coronavirus outbreak. Please follow the instruction from the World Health Organization (WHO) and wash hands frequently. Last reported death was almost 1,400 in China and the disease is still spreading. Fifteen confirmed cases of coronavirus are reported in the U.S.
- Bible Study tonight, we will continue to study the book of Numbers.
- This Sunday, Elder Raymond Xie will be sharing God’s word:
- Title: Two by two, pray and go
- Text: Luke 10:1-3
- Coworker reminders can also be found here.
- EM Sunday School, this quarter is using the “alpha course.” Sunday School starts every Sunday in room A202 (Note the room change!) at 9:45 am.
- Youth Pastor Nathan is now having office hours from 2:00 pm ~ 3:30 pm every second and fourth Sunday of the month by advanced appointment (three 30-minute slots). You may contact Pastor Nathan Willems directly or email him at Nathan.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There will be no lunch service in the coming Sunday (2/16) as a precaution to health concerns.
- Ladies Fellowship upcoming event:
- Topic: 7 Keys to Re-igniting Your Passion for God
- Speaker: Mrs. Priscilla Lee
- Time: 2/23 12:30 pm Lunch provided
i. 1:00 ~ 2:45 pm Session
- Location: EM Fellowship Hall
- Free child care provided (please contact Pat in advance email@example.com)
- All other announcement items can be found here.
- Please pray for the coronavirus situation and victims. May God protect His church from harm and grant peace and vigilance to His people.
- Continue to pray for Elder Sam for his speedy recovery on heart and kidney function, as well as his anemia.
- Pray for the EM pastor search. May God’s guidance lead us to call His desired shepherd.
- Pray for our newcomers and newcomer-to-be! May God provide us enough wisdom to make them feel welcome and feel at home.
- Pray for brothers and sisters who are looking for work opportunities.
- Pray for CBCGL 2020 focuses: outreach, prayer, and discipleship groups.