Greetings EM family,
I pray that the Lord of peace be with you and bless you on everything you do.
Do you recognize this picture?
If you are one of those people or a parent of them, then you definitely do!
If you haven’t heard, after celebrating their 110th birthday, Boy Scouts of America or BSA, filed chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on February 11, 2020.
Per CNN’s article, like almost two dozen US Catholic dioceses and USA Gymnastics, BSA is also facing “scores of sexual abuse lawsuits that allege that the organization failed to stop serial predators from abusing young children.”
For our boys and girls, scouting is not just about tying knots, making cookies, camping, fishing, or learning survival skills….
PC: Getty Image & GirlScout.ORG
It is also about learning and preparing to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetime.
Scout Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
Why would such a noble organization, like many Catholic dioceses, having high standard ethical and moral codes, fail to uphold them?
Because codes/laws/organizations do not “make a man!” It has to come from the heart.
Isaiah 29:13 ESV, And the Lord said: “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men,”
Galatians 5:4 ESV, You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; cyou have fallen away from grace.
After all, “through the law comes the knowledge of sin.” (Romans 3:20b) If those who are entrusted with the laws/codes do not abide by them, they have become even more dangerous.
- Bible Study tonight, we will continue to study the book of Numbers.
- This Sunday, Pastor Raymond Lee will be sharing God’s word:
- Title: Becoming an Encourager
- Text: Hebrews 3:13
- Coworker reminders can also be found here.
- EM Sunday School, this quarter is using the “alpha course.” Sunday School starts every Sunday in room A202 at 9:45 am.
- Youth Pastor Nathan is now having office hours from 2:00 pm ~ 3:30 pm every second and fourth Sunday of the month by advanced appointment (three 30-minute slots). You may contact Pastor Nathan Willems directly or email him at Nathan.email@example.com.
- There will be no lunch service in the coming Sunday (2/23) as a precaution to health concerns.
- Ladies Fellowship upcoming event:
- Topic: 7 Keys to Re-igniting Your Passion for God
- Speaker: Mrs. Priscilla Lee
- Time: 2/23 12:30 pm Lunch provided
i. 1:00 ~ 2:45 pm Session
- Location: EM Fellowship Hall
- Free child care provided (please contact Pat in advance firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ken Ngai’s mission trip.
- All other announcement items can be found here.
- Please pray for the coronavirus situation and victims. May God protect His church from harm and grant peace and vigilance to His people.
- Continue to pray for Elder Sam for his speedy recovery on heart and kidney function, as well as his anemia.
- Pray for the EM pastor search. May God’s guidance lead us to call His desired shepherd.
- Pray for our newcomers and newcomer-to-be! May God provide us enough wisdom to make them feel welcome and feel at home.
- Pray for brothers and sisters who are looking for work opportunities.
- Pray for Ken Ngai’s (Empower Fellowship) upcoming mission trip to Chicago. You may also support him financially. https://app.managedmissions.com/Donations/Donate/49602
- Pray for CBCGL 2020 focuses: outreach, prayer, and discipleship groups.