Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
This coming Sunday, October 16, is World Food Day. The reality facing people throughout the world is that drought, flooding, war, and the pandemic have brought millions of people to the brink of starvation. You know that the pandemic and fuel prices have caused issues locally in inflation and in the lack of available goods. But those same issues, while inconvenient for us, are devastating for those who are hungry.
Yes, inflation is eating up more of our income. But that doesn’t mean that we don’t have resources we can give. We have been blessed so that we may be conduits of grace. We aren’t meant to be a cul-de-sac where blessings gather and stay. We are meant to be an avenue of blessing – so that God’s kingdom may be advanced through meeting immediate needs as well as working on long-term development and care. For example, you can find more information about the work of World Vision here: https://www.wvi.org/world-food-day
Consider your own generosity practices. If you have resources to give, you could give to help ship bikes for Let the Needy Smile (See the bulletin for more information). You could also help to provide finances for the establishment of a Seminary through the work of a former Seminarian who attended CBCGL, Aritung Kikon. For more information, contact Elder Sam Cheung. You could also use the resources God has given you to sponsor children, help with refugee resettlement, or contribute to community development to protect and serve those on the brink of starvation.
As you consider what you have, how are you using the resources you have been given in order to be a blessing?
Also, of note, Halloween is coming up. One of the places where most of the Halloween activities in MA take place is in Salem, MA. The First Baptist Church of Salem has put together a pdf for ways you can be praying for Salem all month long, up to and through Halloween. You can find that pdf here: https://www.firstbaptistchurchsalem.com/halloween
Please continue to pray for the nation of Ukraine. Here is a suggested list of prayers if you are at a loss for words in how to pray: https://send.org/story/hh_pray_for_ukraine. Thank you for kneeling on behalf of the people of Ukraine and Russia, and taking a stand (or a knee in prayer) against the forces of darkness in this present age.
This Week (Oct. 7 – Oct. 13, 2022):
1. Tonight, Oct. 14, 2022, the Living Stones Friday Night Bible Study is meeting from 7:30-9:30 to continue our study in James in order to live out our faith. We will begin with attending a missionary sharing at 7:30 pm. At 8:30 we will have our Bible Study. You can read James 4 in order to prepare. Join in person in Room A-216 or online via the following links:
Meeting ID: 857 4423 2540
Meeting ID: 685 376 249
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. The Living Stones Sunday School and Grace Ambassadors Sunday School will be combined in Room A-202 and online, due to a special sharing by Elder Wu on Intelligent Design. I hope you can join us. You can join online via the following link:
Meeting ID: 491 248 585
Join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
3. This Sunday, Oct. 16, 2022, at 11:25 am, Pastor Nathan Willems will be preaching. Pray for him! Join us for worship at CBCGL! You can also watch the live stream if you wish.
a. Text: Matthew 6:5-6
b. Title: Recognition and Reward in Prayer
c. Live stream via Youtube: https://www.cbcgl.org/live-stream/
4. Each Wednesday, for example, this coming October 19, 2022, at 7:45 pm, you are invited, encouraged, and requested to join our weekly prayer meeting. We’ll spend time praying for the nations as well as praying for CrossPoint Community. The link is found below in the section on prayer.
Administration / Events
1. CBCGL’s COVID-19 guidance has been updated. We still are following CDC guidance for travel and participation in activities following travel or exposure to a positive case. We are no longer requiring new guests to complete the waiver form.
a. Please note, you are recommended, but not required to wear facemasks to church.
2. Sunday Lunch Service is back at CBCGL with $5 lunchboxes! To place an order, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/SJBrwGF4nb5w564DA Orders need to be placed by Friday at 11 pm so that the kitchen can prepare the correct amount of food. Note: The selection which states “Number of Meals” refers to the cooked food/lunch box/Chinese food option.
3. We have a missions update! This week, we have an update from J and J who serve with the Gideons International doing Bible distribution in East Asia. They have distributed over 200,000,000 Bibles in the attempt to reach the unreached. They have a number of requests, and continue to ask for your prayers for God’s protection in their work of outreach and in their travel back to East Asia. Please check the missions tab in our bulletin to read through these reports and learn how you can support our missionaries.
4. Save the Date: October 23rd, from 1:30 to 3:30, CrossPoint Community will join CBCGL’s Annual Meeting to hear plans for 2023 and beyond, as well as vote for new deacon and elder candidates. A reminder: If you are a member, you are expected to be present at this meeting.
5. What if you could skip one dinner eating out and use the money saved to help someone in Uganda to receive a bike? $50 can send a bike to the very poor in Uganda who cannot even afford to use public transportation and must travel hours by foot to reach church or school. Skip a dinner-out and send a bike. Donation is easy. If God so prompts your heart to help, please visit Pastor Owino’s website Letneedysmile.org to make a donation to help pay the fee of shipping the bikes to Uganda. $50 to ship one bike; $100 to ship two bikes. You can ship as many bikes as God prompts you. When making a donation online (via Paypal), please denote the donation with “Shipping fee for bike”.
6. All other announcements can be found here (in our CrossPoint Community bulletin).
1. Our time in prayer shows what we think about God! Do you see your need of Him? Or are you trying to live this life without / apart from Him? Please join our Wednesday night prayer meeting (7:45 – 9:15 pm) even if you can’t participate the whole time.
Meeting ID: 758 587 937
Join by phone: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
2. Here is our list of prayer and service requests. The service request tab is for brothers and sisters to ask for assistance or announce any give-away items. It is an attempt from CPC to reach out and take care of those in need among us. You may also enter yours via the provided link:
You can also do so via the following link: https://www.cbcgl.org/pray/
In Christ, your servant, SDG,
Rev. Dr. Nathan Willems
Associate Pastor of CrossPoint Community – A Ministry of CBCGL